OFFICIAL: Donnarumma Will NOT Sign Milan Extension
No extension – A tragic end to what could have been an everlasting fairy tale for Gigio…
Milan have officially announced via a Live video on Facebook that Gianluigi Donnarumma has rejected a renewal of his contract with the club, which expires in summer 2018.
The 18-year-old has had a sensational season at the San Siro and has even earned himself four caps for the national side as he prepares to take Gianluigi Buffon’s No.1 spot. Donnarumma previously said his wish is to remain at the club, but in spite of that, he managed to play hard ball over discussions on his future, concluding with a refusal to sign an extension with the San Siro side.
— AC Milan (@acmilan) June 15, 2017
“Raiola told us the final decision of Donnarumma which is to not renew. Mirabelli and I hoped to build the new Milan starting from him Now, however, we are confident that we’ll do better. This decision saddens us but Milan will go forward”, said Fassone during the press conference.
A number of clubs, including Real Madrid, Manchester United and Manchester City have been linked with the teenager, widely regarded as successor to Gianluigi Buffon in the Italy national team. However, now that Gigio’s future has suddenly become unclear, the Rossoneri could opt not to sell him, which would mean a total freeze out and he would be on the bench all season.
Milan, whose main idea was to make Donnarumma an icon of the club, will now look for other shot-stoppers, with Juventus’ Neto and Napoli’s Pepe Reina on the radar.
Since this story has reached such finale, it is now possible that Milan will likely cut all ties with Mino Raiola, meaning defender Ignazio Abate and midfielder Giacomo Bonaventura could also pack their bags and leave the Milanese giant.